I had a Word document that I spent some time preparing and suddenly decided that it would make a good blog post. Problem: How to get the document into Blogger without actually re-keying it or spending lots of time fixing formatting errors after using some form of cut and paste.
Here's how I finally resolved my problem.
Prepare and Import the Word Document
- Prepare your Word document in the normal way. I usually save the Word document as a .docx file so it can be easily reedited.
- I also typically prepare a .pdf of the final document to make sharing the document easier and also to make it difficult to change or plagiarize it.
- To use the document for a Blogger post, save the document as a .odt file (Open Document Text). This seems to be the only format that Google Docs and Blogger will handle easily.
- Open Google Docs and import your .odt document into Google Docs. Open it.
- Use Ctrl-A to select all of your document text. (If you have headers and footers, it will not include them.)
- Use Ctrl-C to copy the selected text.
- Switch to Blogger and create a new, empty blog.
- Paste the copied text into the empty blog. It will likely be formatted quite well and require no further manipulation.
If you feel the need to start tweaking various items of your blog, you'll probably end up with a mess. I'm not sure why, but this technique results in HTML that is not easily controlled by the Blogger editor functions.
Go ahead and fiddle with things if you must, but don't say I didn't warn you.
When Your Blog Passes Muster